The Mind Illuminated
- The first goal is to clearly distinguish the in and out breaths and the pauses between with equal clarity.
- Note: you may find that you breath naturally change to accentuate parts of this cycle. If you did not intentionally cause this, accept it.
- Next, try to identify as many individual sensations of the in and out breaths as possible.
- Strive to distinguish each sensation with the utmost clarity.
- Maintain extrospective awareness (of the body & external stimuli). This prevents drowsiness and improves the mind’s ability to recognize distraction before it becomes complete/